The Grand Duchy

04 June 2009

9 to 5

I need you all's opinion on something. Although we have been in the workplace a short amount of time I feel like I need some more insight into this problem I am currently having at my work site.

One of my four AmeriCorps team members has falsified her time sheets. So here is the issue, lets get all the facts. Yesterday at our monthly meeting, instead of handing out print outs of our time sheets, our boss simply asked who wanted to know how many hours they had worked. This was done in an effort to save paper. One of my coworkers asked for her hour count to date. After hearing the number I was surprised to find that this young woman had logged more hours than the three other AmeriCorps members at our site. Now this is surprising for two reasons, number one she missed essentially a month of work. I talked to the program director in the fall when she was coming in for an hour or two each day and then leaving early. The matter was supposedly handled and she started coming to work again. The second reason has to do with her behavior over the past months. The absenteeism has reared its head again. She comes in late in the morning and then leaves early every afternoon. Our contract is til four and she has been leaving at 2:40 when school ends.

So there is absolutely no way that she has logged more hours than three other people who are at school from 8 to 4 everday. While the three of us are very present at the site, she spends her day in one room and there are only two people that actually know when she comes and goes, those people being her cooperating teacher and herself. She does not sign in the office in the morning and none of the other teachers know her or if she is there everyday.

Our last problem comes in the form of the falsified documents. Someone at the school site has to sign her time sheets. I am not sure who signs her time sheets but obviously no one can actually truly know how many hours she logs on a given day. So the program director sees the endorsement of someone at the site and believes that she has actually worked the hours she has logged.

My dilemna lies herein, how do I address this? Do I simply do nothing? Should I talk to my program supervisor? I was planning on just sending her an e-mail and that would be the end of it. I simply cannot sit back and let this happen. The school is being cheated out of a good program. I am also being selfish in that I am like 30 hours behind and I am going to try to scramble to gather some extra hours any way possible. It just sickens me to think that she will get off without any sort of punishment or negative repersuccions. People have said that she won't get very much out of the program, which is true. Or that karma will come back and get her, which I am like I dunno how much of that I believe. I just know that I cannot sit back and keep my mouth shut. What do you all think my best options are? Should I keep my mouth shut or fight for what is right?

6 Comments:

Blogger Married In Chicago said...

you know how I love giving my opinion. While I would truly love to say that you should say something and that your candidness and honesty would be much appreciated . . . i've got to go with a vote of "keep your mouth shut". I don't doubt that everything you would say would be true, but in the work place I don't think that truthfulness is necessarily the most appreciated quality. Let your self shine and show your stuff. Don't worry about her and I would shy away from causing "trouble". These are people that you might ask to write recs for you one day. You want them to hear your name and think "he was so committed!" or "he was so smart!" or "he worked so hard!" - not necessarily "he accused one of his teammates of lying" or whatever. I know that this situation is probably boiling your blood . . .but I think its just something you should internally deal with.

June 4, 2009 at 8:02 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

June 5, 2009 at 1:48 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

So. I haven't read with Alisha wrote so this is my unbiased opinion. There are a couple of things that influence your decision. 1. If you say something will it hurt your reputation at or and a future recommendation? 2. If this is not an issue then are you and the girl friends? 3. If you are not friends and you are peace-ing out after the school year then I would mention it to your manager. However I wouldn't be a tattle-tail and say her name. Just be generic and bring it up in a compassionate manner. You want to show that you are only bringing it up because you have the schools best interest in mind.
Or you can just say fuck it! But I think it says a lot about your personality to bring it up.

I miss typed Alisha's name so I deleted my other post because I didn't want her to think I can't spell it.

Also after reading Alisha's I think you should keep your mouth shut. :) But vent to us all you want!

June 5, 2009 at 1:51 PM  
Blogger Married In Chicago said...

haha stephanie you are so funny.

June 5, 2009 at 8:25 PM  
Blogger Rico said...

I was about to type "how did you fail to mention this on the telephone today?" but then realized that you were in a work setting and could possibly have been near this girl. That being said, this is a tough call. As a fellow Americorps member, I recognize how difficult/hard it is to get all of your hours in. I worry about it on a weekly basis. I also know that there are things in my program that I find unfair for people to get hours for, such as taking a Spanish class. I am basically being punished for being fluent and taking Spanish during my time at college. But I think that I agree with Alisha, that you don't want to tarnish her or your name. What if she's been doing a ton of off site hours that she has been doing secretly that none of you are aware of? Then you would look suspect.

I understand that it is difficult and that it sucks, but really just keep talking trash about her behind her back. Also, if she really intensely falsified her hours, I feel like Americorps will somehow figure that out. Or at least someone through your program or at your school will figure it out.

June 6, 2009 at 6:30 PM  
Blogger suzyblue said...

rat the bitch out. love you bk. but in all seriousness, i'll respect whatever way you decide to go.

June 6, 2009 at 8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home