The Grand Duchy

06 April 2010

We must proceed with malice toward none.

I am thinking of sending the blog post below to the Itawamba County School District. It is just such a heart wrenching story that should not go unnoticed.
In spite of all of this those students that attended the prom of seven people had the time of their lives. And that gives me hope. Their courage gives me strength. I also believe in karma and that what goes around comes around. This hatred will not go unpunished. Here are some articles that you should also read:

Lesbian Teen Prom Update: Law Fails to Protect Constance From Discrimination Again

Prom Shocker: Constance McMillan Invited to Fake Prom

You Wanna Go to the Prom?

Also I took a lot of inspiration from President Clinton's address at Knox College's 2007 Commencement.

"But the most important thing that I learned as a layperson from the sequencing of the human genome, with 3 billion of them in our bodies, is that every human being on earth genetically is 99.9 percent the same. Go figure. Just look around this crowd. Every difference you see between yourself and someone else, the color of your skin, the color of your hair, the color of your eyes, the shape of your body, every single thing is rooted in one-tenth of one percent of your genetic makeup. And yet, think about how all of us basically spend 90 percent of our time thinking about that one-tenth of one percent. Right? We do. We don't have to be a fanatic to be like that. I think, "Oh, I wish I were as thin as he is. I'd like to be as young as he is, but at least I'm not as old as he is. I can't hit a golf ball 300 yards anymore, but at least I can do better than that old coot."

All of us think like this, right? And it's all rooted in one-tenth of one percent. It's okay, because that's also the source of our creative juices and differences. But we need the emotional and psychological freedom that being aware of our common humanity gives us. That's what leads us into service. That's what leads us to make the most of our ability as private citizens to do public good." -President William Jefferson Clinton

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home