The Grand Duchy

08 March 2010

I'd Like to Thank the Academy

I could not be more happy with the winners of last nights Academy Awards. Sandra Bullock gave my favorite acceptance speech last night. Her performance in 'The Blind Side' was incredibly Oscar worthy and she was so deserving of this recognition. Jeff Bridges winning his first Oscar after five nominations was incredibly heart warming. For an Actor to go as long without this type of recognition like Bridges has is almost criminal. Although I did not see the film I am sure his performance was fantastic. I could not agree more with the Academy members in their choice of Kathryn Bigelow as Best Director for her wonderful movie 'The Hurt Locker.' It really truly was last year's Best Picture. 'The Hurt Locker' was an honest depiction of war and without political agenda. I was so happy that the movie was given the recognition that it so deserved.
As for the ceremony in general, there were some things I loved and some things I was not that big a fan of. I am such a fan of this new trend of having a colleague introduce the nominee. Last year we saw the Acting nominees get introduced by former winners. This year we saw the Best Actor and Actress in a Lead Role receive and introduction from someone that they had worked with in their past. I really do enjoy this heart warming and intimate glimpse into the nominees. I really hope that this becomes a staple of the Oscar ceremony. I could leave behind having 10 nominees for Best Picture. A lot of those films just did not have what it takes to be considered a Best Picture. I loved Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin as hosts. I really could have used more them though. Their style of humor was really fantastic. The overall tone of the audience was quite somber. The glitz and glamor of previous ceremonies was not present in last night's award show. The big musical numbers and showmanship was missing. I realize that the state of our world is quite depressing and maybe an over the top Oscars would seem decadent, but I mean I was kind of looking to escape that last night. But hey thats me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Married In Chicago said...

I was very happy Monique won for best supporting actress. She did a phenomenal job in precious - the scene where she breaks down in front of the social worker was the best scene in the movie, imo.

neill and i just watched "an education" and i thought that movie was also very, very good.

it looks like the hurt locker really came away with a lot of awards. i'll have to check it out.

March 8, 2010 at 2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home