The Grand Duchy

28 January 2009

Schadenfreude

Schadenfreude is pleasure taken from observing the misery of another. Philosopher and sociologist Theodor Adorno defined schadenfreude as “largely unanticipated delight in the suffering of another which is cognized as trivial and/or appropriate.

Before dinner this evening I got a little taste of something even tastier than my grilled cheese and tomato soup. Caitie on the phone with a friend. Let me tell you how delicious this was. She was just talking about how miserable she is. I mean I felt generally the same things all Fall. She was just talking about how she does not connect with anyone here and that she is really trying (I think here she meant lying) and was being very polite to everyone. When I walked into the kitchen (where her room is now) she was talking about how she did not like confrontation (meaning her passive aggressive behavior). She said that she is very sick of Nick (things we have heard before) and that she had a lot of friends back in the city and was busy with lots of stuff to do and now that living in California she has the exact opposite. She also told her friend that there was no one really interested in art here and that most people have bad taste in music (My friend Jackie that likes emo punk music) or are only interested in television (Moi and our other room mate Nick that spends all his time in front of the television).

I just got the biggest kick out of her misery. I was eating it up. It was just so fab. But when I went to the kitchen to clean my dishes, she was talking about she might have found a room to rent near her school and might be moving. Which is the only bad news for me.

I am not sure where I would go? I would not be able to stay in my apt. I would not be able to make rent at all. It would suck. So that could be worrisome for me. But also she lies. So who knows if this could even be possible. I guess that the her happiness at my misfortune would be that she is doing what I have been advised by everyone I know. To find another living arrangement.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home